Latest stories of our network
Stories about those who make sure that our connected life is secure and free
Everything that is connected to the internet can be hacked. Social media have become a battleground for political influencing and populism. Fake news are everywhere. Digital freedom is under scrutiny. Artificial Intelligence is out of control. Big tech companies own the world.
That all sounds dire.
And while it all is partially true, it also isn't. As with everything in life: when humans interact, there will be frictions. Not everybody has good intentions. So we have to be vigilant, and we need guardians, protectors, heroes or just ordinary people with a good sense for what is right or wrong.
The smallest things can have a massive impact. A young man registers a domain and shuts down a global cyber attack. A sports star kneels and provokes a national discussion about values. A power outage in the middle of nowhere disconnects millions of people from the internet – and an electrician saves the day. A retired policeman stops someone from taking money from an ATM and thus delivers the crucial clue to halt a global ring of digital bank robbers.
We all can be heroes and can be forgotten the next day. This section tells stories of average people saving our digital world. By creating policies, by maintaining infrastructure, by stopping criminals and by protecting children. These are stories of you and me — the real heroes of today – the guardians of the digital world.
- Where to Donate to Protect the Internet in 2017 | WIRED ›
- Call to Protect the Public Core of the Internet - GCSCGCSC ›
- Protect Our Internet ›
- High time to protect the internet route map: Here are 7 basics — ENISA ›
- Save the Internet, protect net neutrality in Europe! | Archive ›
- FCC Adopts Strong, Sustainable Rules to Protect the Open Internet ... ›
- Cloudflare wants to protect the internet from quantum computing ›
- Join the Battle for Net Neutrality ›
Our difficult relationship with the information we leave behind
Astrid Carolus researches any kind of human interaction with media.
University of Wuerzburg